As I type this, it’s Saturday night, hours before the readathon’s 5 am start date in Southern California. I’m not getting up that early to start reading but I still wanted to make sure my post was up.
The start of the readathon is always exciting. The house is quiet at 5 am and the only sounds to be heard are the ones coming from the coffee pot. I always tell my family that the readathon is my Christmas; it’s the day that I get to sit back, ignore most of the errands and chores that need to be done, and do something I really enjoy: reading.
My reading stack includes:
Anansi Boys – Neil Gaiman
Midwinter Blood – Marcus Sedgwick
Running Like a Girl – Alexandra Heninsley
Noggin – Corey Haley
A Snicker of Magic – Natalie Lloyd
When the Emperor was Divine – Julie Otsuka
The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Ella Enchanted – Gail Levine
Today I Am a Boy – Kim Fu
Cress – Marissa Meyer (already started)
The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons – Sam Kean (already started)
Usually, I have graphic novels, children’s books, and a bit of poetry in my stack but I was unable to get to the library in time. What I have should keep me busy as the books are in a variety of genres from fantasy to dystopian, nonfiction to young adult.
Readathoning along with me is my twelve year-old daughter, Piper. Her stack includes a ton of manga and hopefully Cress for school. The boys may join but I’m not holding my breath.
What books are in your stack?
I’m up! I’m up! It’s hour one of the readathon and I finally woke up. Piper, on the other hand, has been up for hours reading. Now she’s asleep. Hee hee! I should take a picture of her with her beauty mask on, but I want to live.
1. We’re reading from Southern California.
2. I love my stack of books so I’m excited about everything I end up reading. I think Piper feels the same way.
3. The snack I’m looking forward to reading is actually a meal. I’m making red beans and rice for dinner early this morning. I can’t wait.
4. Telling you something about myself is always hard. I never know what to say. I’m a mother of three lovely kids, my favorite thing to do besides reading is to ride my men’s beach cruiser named Dorothy. She’s red. ;-) Piper is a 12 year-old girl who loves anime, baking, and riding on her roller skates. Her dream is to go to school in Paris to become a pastry chef.
5. I participated in the last readathon. I know to just have fun and keep the pressure low.
Hour 8 Update
Since my last update, I have:
read more pages in Cress
started making dinner (red beans and rice)
took a break to do some cheerleading
Piper has finally woken up and she’s eating lunch.
Oliver (my 10 year-old) has joined the readathon and is currently reading a Lego comic.
Food consumed: Special K, coffee, and some water.
Back to reading.