The Classics Challenge is hosting a mini-challenge called the Classics Spin. Readers list twenty classics that they want to read by today. Tomorrow on February 18th, the challenge hosts will randomly pick a number from 1-20. Whatever number they pick, readers read the book that corresponds to that number.
I have a ton of classics on my shelves that I haven’t read yet and this mini-challenge sounds like a great way to get through my unread stack. The books I’ve chosen for my list are mostly recent classics and most are on my shelves as a way to conquer my tbr stack.
1. Grimm’s Fairy Tales
2. Mythology by Edith Hamilton
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
4. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
5. The Autobiography of Malcolm X – Malcolm X
6. Passing by Nella Larson
7. House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
8. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
9. Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
10. Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich
11. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
12. The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg (a children’s classic)
13. Winnesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
14. Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson
15. Selected Poems by Langston Hughes
16. Maus by Art Spiegelman
17. Poems – Sappho
18. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
19. Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv (a parenting classic)
20. The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (a children’s classic)
Have you signed up for this mini-challenge?
#14 was the lucky number picked for the spin. At first I was surprised but now I can’t wait to start reading Shirley Jackson’s Life Among the Savages. Yes, this is the same Shirley Jackson that wrote the short story, “The Lottery”.