The scene: // I’m sitting in bed as the house sleeps. Insomnia has hit me pretty hard in the last few weeks, so as usual, I’ve been up for several hours.
Drinking: // water.
Reading: // I read several books last week, mainly children’s books. One that stood out was Dreaming in Indian, an anthology of poetry, essays, and short stories by indigenous youth. The latest volume of the Fables series stood out, but not for the best reasons. I found the sudden turn of events and drastic personality makeovers from the main characters to be disappointing, which is sad since there’s only one volume left in the series.
With my due date fast approaching this week, I really want to read as much as possible. After my daughter’s birth, I know I won’t have the time or energy for much. On my reading stack are:
- Between the World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (nonfiction)
- Find the Good by Heather Lende (nonfiction)
- Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead (middle grade/YA)
- Rat Queens Vol. 2 –Kurtis J. Wiebe (a reread)
- Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert D. Putnam (nonfiction)
- Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper (middle grade)
- The Martian by Andy Weir (fiction). I’m probably one of the few people who haven’t read this yet. Luckily, The Socratic Salon is having an upcoming read-along for it.
Looking at my list, I notice some adult fiction is missing. I need to change that.
The past few weeks: // have been so emotional for this country. First, there was the Charleston massacre, which is such a horrendous thing. Then, there was the latest Supreme Court rulings. I had no faith in the SCOTUS, but found myself amazed and thankful that the Affordable Care Act was left alone. Then for SCOTUS to decide that marriage equality is now the law of the land?! Omg! Love. Love wins. Love should always win.
Now I’m off: // to have a sip of coffee and read a bit before the kids wake up.
What are your plans for today?