It’s that time of the year again! Time for Carl’s excellent Once Upon a Time challenge. It started March 20th and ends June 20, 2011. Nothing says spring like the start of this challenge. I wasn’t going to write a post about this challenge but after Kelly’s excellent post of potential reads, I thought I should write my own post about the pool of books I’m choosing from.
Read at least five books that fit somewhere within the criteria.
Read two non-fiction books that treat any of the four genres covered in this challenge.
Last but not least of my quests:
I have read some great short stories so far this year, so this is the perfect quest for me.
Last year I’m trying to read as many of books from my tbr pile as possible, so the books that I’m going to read from this challenge will mostly come from my shelves. Here’s my list of possible reads:
- The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
- Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen
- Under the Green Hill by Laura L. Sullivan
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
- The Wild Things by Dave Eggers
- Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter
- The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter
- The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Bone: Rose by Jeff Smith
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman (re-read)
- Chew Vol. 1: Taster’s Choice by John Layman
- Bloodroot by Amy Greene
- The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht
- A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliot
- The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier
- The Beastly Bride edited by Ellen Datlow
- Trickster: Native American Tales
- BB Wolf and the Three LPs by JD Arnold
- Bayou Vols 1 and 2 by Jeremy Love
- The Grimm Reader: The Classic Tales of the Brothers Grimm translated by Maria Tatar
- “The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles” by Kij Johnson
I also found out about a few more books that I’ll probably add to the pool later on in the challenge. Have you joined the Once Upon a Time Challenge this year? Is there a book, short story, or movie that you’re looking forward to reading or viewing?