You see those piles of books? That is this month’s TBR pile. It’s a combination of library and review books along with a few of my own books sprinkled in. I’ve never put aside the books I plan on reading a month in advance but thought that if I make a note of the books I need to read this month, it might just help my reading go a little more smoothly than in earlier years.
At the top:
- Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus
- The Last Daughter by Elena Ferrante
- Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer
- We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver
- Soul Kiss by Shay Youngblood
- Spilling Ink by Ellen Potter and Anne Mazer
- Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein
- The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
- Ugly Beauty by Ruth Brandon
- Waiting for Columbus by Thomas
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson
- Love Poems by Pedro Salinas
- The Flat World and Education by Linda Darling-Hammond
- Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith
- The Plot by Will Eisner
- Footnotes in Gaza by Joe Sacco
- The Decorated Page by Gwen Diehn
- How to Be a Genius by DK Publishing
- The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard
- The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli
One of my literary resolutions for this year is to read 235-240 books, so 20 is the magic monthly number to hit. It’s also the number of books in my pile.
I think what surprises me about this list is the number of non-fiction titles that appears. Non-fiction is a genre that I neglected last year, so I’m probably reading the same number of non-fiction this month that I read in all of 2010. So that’s my pile.
Do you plan your reading in advance? What’s in your stack for January?