Sept. 1, 2009- October 31, 2009
One of the things I did while on my blogging break was that I started to count down for the start of Carl’s fantastic Readers Imbibing Peril (R.I.P.) Challenge. Fall is one of my favorite seasons and for the last couple of years, I’ve marked the start of the season with Carl’s challenge, reading spooky stories while curling up with a cup of coffee and listening to the wind blow as the weather cools down. The R.I.P. Challenge is as much a part of autumn as falling leaves are.
You can imagine my surprise when I checked Twitter a few days ago and learned that though the fourth annual R.I.P. Challenge doesn’t officially start until the 1st of September, Carl went ahead and started it this past Monday! After I finished screaming in excitement and receiving funny looks from my family, I started scouring my bookshelves and wish lists for books I want to read.
This year I’m signing up for the Short Story Peril and also Peril the 1st, which is to read four books of any length in the subgenres: mystery, suspense, thriller, dark fantasy, gothic, horror, and supernatural.
Monday I read Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzgerald. Hush, Hush is the story of a young girl who gets caught up with a fallen angel. She’s also being stalked by a mysterious girl, a guy in a ski mask, and has a ton of weird things happen to her. It’s becoming a fast favorite among bloggers.
My Reading Pool:
1. Angel of Forgetfulness - Steve Stern
2. Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron
3. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
4. Something Wicked this Way Comes - Ray Bardbury
5. Sweethearts- Melanie Rae Thon
6. Forever – Peter Hamill
7. The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
8. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane – Katherine Howe
9. The Gargoyle - Andew Davidson
10. The Late, Lamented Molly Marx – Sally Koslow
11. Tigerheart - Peter David
12. The Good Thief - Hannah Tinti
13. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
14. Re-reading Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt
15. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
16. Full Dark House - Christopher Fowler
17. A Fine and Private Place - Peter Beagle
18. Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter
19. Tender Morsels - Margo Lanagan
20. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
21. Inkheart - Cornelia Funke
22. Re-reading The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
23. Various children’s books
24. Finishing The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter
25. Perfume - Patrick Suskind
Have you joined Carl’s R.I.P. Challenge?