As I sit here typing, the sun is setting and the wind’s blowing. Outside my window the leaves on various trees have started to change from that brilliant green of summer to the crisp orange of fall. I can’t believe that I almost missed one of my favorite reading challenges: Carl’s Readers Imbibing Peril challenge. It’s hard to believe that this is my fifth year but it is.
This year I’m participating in a few perils:
- Peril the First- four books of any length
- Peril of the Short Story
- Peril on the Screen – scary movies!
I also plan on participating in a peril you may not have heard of before: Peril of the Children. I love this challenge so much that I’m making letting my children participate too. I plan on reading one spooky picture book or story to them each night throughout October. The kids have already started putting some of their favorite Halloween tales on hold at our local library. I’m hoping to write a post a week on the stories we read together.
My pool of books:
- Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol (re-read)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (re-read)
- Fish by Gregory Mone
- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
- The Night Circus by Erin Mortensen
- The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier
- Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
- Under the Dome by Stephen King
- Bradbury Stories by Ray Bradbury (re-read)
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler
- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
- The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King
- Memento Mori by Muriel Spark
- A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliot
- Under the Green Hill by Laura L. Sullivan
- Hellboy series by Mike Mignola
- Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi
Have you read anything in this reading pool? Is there one book you think I should put at the top of my TBR list?